Time to end the Debate on Absorption; Capsules or Tablets versus Liquids
Most people are convinced that liquid solutions will be absorbed more rapidly into your body than tablets or capsules. It seems to make more sense that a liquid should get there faster than a tablet but this is a totally false premise created by the manufacturers of liquid products to charge you more money for your supplements.
Let us suppose you suffered a painful injury at work. They took you to the hospital and gave you pain medication, Percodan, Dilaudid, Tylenol #3, or OxyContin. These are all compressed tablets but in 5 minutes or less you are suddenly feeling a little high and have no pain. People take tablets to control their blood pressure, cholesterol, heart rhythms, excess stomach acid and even to prevent babies. All of these medications work exactly the way they are supposed to and they only come in liquid form when they are dispensed to very young children who cannot swallow tablets.
If both you and your child both had pneumonia and required antibiotics for the infection, you would get the tablets or capsules and the child would get the liquid. After 7 to 10 days you both would be better. Your child would not recover more quickly because he or she took the liquid form of the medication.
Most of this propaganda comes from the manufactures of calcium liquids because they can demonstrate that a calcium tablet will not dissolve in water or a 5% solution of vinegar (acetic acid). A meaningless test because your stomach contains pure hydrochloric acid with a very acidic Ph of 4.5 and it will definitely dissolve the tablets. But just like food only about 10 percent of digestion actually takes place in the stomach. The other 90 percent is done after your stomach empties and enzymes break down the tablets or capsules in your upper intestine.
The health food industry is full of tales and rumors and one of them is about finding undissolved calcium tablets in the feces. I know of only one incident in which this happened in the 13 years I have been in the health food industry and this was a manufacturing mistake in which the tablets were compressed too hard.
A three month supply of liquid calcium may cost anywhere from $45 to $60 dollars. The same thing in tablet for will be less than $20 dollars. A three month supply of liquid vitamins will cost you about $90 dollars. The same thing in tablet or capsule form will be less than $20 dollars.
When you swallow a tablet or capsule you are receiving the exact dose that is on the label of the bottle. When your pour a liquid there will be spillage and the amount you pour may not be consistent. That is why the pharmacy uses syringe doses for very young children who must take an accurate dose each time. Using a teaspoon or tablespoon is the most inaccurate because of the variety of sizes of these utensils. On the other hand you can achieve higher medication levels in liquid doses and that is why liquid Nutri Flex for arthritis can be taken once a day whereas the capsule form requires 6 capsules a day in divided doses. It would take 9 capsules of Udo’s Oil caps to give you the same dose as one tablespoonful of the liquid. One teaspoonful of fish oil is equivalent to at least 2 capsules of fish oil.
You are not a child any more. Take your supplements in pill form wherever possible and with all the money you saved maybe you can buy something tasty in liquid form that is not sold in a health food store.